JAS Editor-in-Chief position open
As many of you know, the term for the current Editor of the Journal of Animal Science (JAS), Dr. Steven Zinn will end in July 2013. The JAS Editor-in-Chief (EiC) Search Committee has been charged with conducting the search and choosing the next EiC for approval by the ASAS Board. The position of EiC is critically important as this individual provides leadership for the scientific quality of the journal, promotes the continued development of the journal, will serve to direct the integration of scientific communications sponsored by the society and serves in a board leadership position.
In the past five years, JAS has changed platforms, drastically increased the number of pages published, increased our impact factor, enhanced our technology capacity and we are about to launch a program designed to move us towards a six month time to publication.
The ASAS Board of Directors has agreed that the next EiC will be charged with:
1. Maintaining and improving the scientific quality of the journal.
2. Completing the transition to a six-month time to publication.
3. Begin the integration of all ASAS Scientific Communications creating an Animal Science Digital Library or a “Portal” of Animal Science.
4. Creating a system of publication mentorship to ensure new animal scientists successfully submit to and publish in JAS.
5. Work to determine a process to better integrate international journal submissions.
In recognition in the increase in the breadth of the position, ASAS is changing the funding options available to the EiC of JAS. Previously, the EiC was unfunded, but was awarded a stipend for a graduate student or a post-doctoral fellowship. At this point, the ASAS Board of Directors has voted a stipend for the EiC. The dollars can be used at the discretion of the EiC (dollars may be used as salary as a part-time position).
You are encouraged to submit names of individuals who you feel should be considered for one or both of these positions, self-nominate for consideration, and/or to submit a formal application. A full application for evaluation should include:
1. A current CV
2. A description of the candidate's editorial experience
3. A description of the candidate’s vision for JAS and the ASAS scientific communications program
4. The names and contact information of 3 references
Applications are due November 29, 2012. Please address communications to the Chair of the Search Committee (Dr. Billy Flowers, JAS EiC Search Committee) submitted electronically to the ASAS Membership Manager, Melissa Burnett (MelissaB@asas.org). The committee will evaluate applications within 10 days of the deadline, with the intent of conducting interviews with finalists before January 6, 2013. Questions concerning the search process or expectations of the position should be addressed to Dr. Billy Flowers (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Meghan Wulster-Radcliffe (MeghanWR@asas.org). Questions concerning the day-to-day operations of the journal should be addressed to Dr. Steven Zinn (email@example.com). The full search committee for JAS EiC is Dr. Billy Flowers (chair), Dr. Harvey Freetly, and Dr. Beth Kegley.
Sincerely, Meghan Wulster-Radcliffe