ASAS announces a position available is for a permanent, full time Scientific Content Manager specializing in animal science who enjoys developing and improving educational products, interacting with a variety of clients, and managing written product development projects from initiation to completion.
Desired qualifications: Master of Science degree in animal science or closely related field with high technical writing standards. Must have advanced computer skills and demonstrated experience or willingness to learn how to use numerous publication platforms to publish scientific content.
Continue reading for full job description and application instructions.
Scientific Content Manager for the American Society of Animal Science (ASAS)
Description of ASAS:
Mission: The American Society of Animal Science is a membership society that supports the careers of scientists and animal producers in the United States and internationally. The American Society of Animal Science fosters the discovery, sharing and application of scientific knowledge concerning the responsible use of animals to enhance human life and well-‐being.
Tag Line: Animals, Science, and Service: What ASAS believes:
1. Animals are essential to human life and well-‐being.
2. Care and use of animals should occur in a socially, ethically, and environmentally responsible manner. The highest standard of professional ethics must be applied.
3. Care and use of animals should be based on scientific knowledge.
4. Generation and application of new knowledge must be based on scientific inquiry.
5. Scientific knowledge should be communicated in an open and dynamic manner.
6. Science-‐based knowledge should be disseminated through teaching and outreach. Professional development of scientists, educators, and producers is essential to the expansion and communication of science concerning animals.
7. ASAS must continually develop and change to meet the needs of its members.
8. The ASAS membership must be global and diverse
Reports to: ASAS COO Qualifications:
Master of science degree in animal science or closely related field with high technical writing standards. Applicants with equivalent work experience will be considered if they lack the MS degree. Must have demonstrated understanding of and ability to work with the scientific community and ability to empathize with and communicate with people from a broad range of professional backgrounds, age groups and demographics. Must have advanced computer skills and demonstrated experience or willingness to learn how to use numerous publication platforms to publish scientific content.
Position requires exceptional written and oral communication skills. Right candidate will be a well-‐organized, self-‐starter with the ability to manage several projects at once. The successful candidate will also have demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as perform effectively in a variety of team roles which includes work with paid staff members, volunteers, and society members. The successful candidate must also have excellent time management skills and the ability to set and meet deadlines. The successful candidate must have the skills and perseverance necessary to see activities through to completion while maintaining enthusiasm and passion for their work.
Position available is for a permanent, fulltime scientific content manager specializing in animal science who enjoys developing and improving educational products, interacting with a variety of clients, and managing written product development projects from initiation to completion.
- Develop content, write and organize the ASAS eNewsletter, Taking Stock
- Develop content, write and organize the ASAS children’s magazine Junior Animal Scientist
- Develop content and write promotional material for ASAS
- Develop website content for numerous platforms
- Report on meetings
- Write interpretative summaries based on JAS articles
- Work with and implement projects developed by the ASAS Communications Committee
- Work as the primary coordinator for a new animal science magazine: Animal Frontiers
- Represent ASAS at various scientific and professional meetings
Location: Champaign, Illinois Salary:
- Commensurate with experience.
Send resume/CV, an application, two writing samples (one technical sample, i.e., abstract or proceedings paper and one popular press example) and the names and contact information of three professional references electronically to:
American Society of Animal Science
Attn: Meghan Wulster-‐Radcliffe
Applications will be accepted until November 20, 2013. Interviews will be scheduled as needed in November.