ASAS and CSAS are excited to announce that in coordination with World Association of Animal Production (WAAP), we will host the next World Congress on Animal Production (WCAP) meeting in Vancouver directly ahead of the 2018 ASAS-CSAS Annual Meeting and Trade Show.
WCAP only meets every 5 years, with the goal of addressing global large scale issues in animal science and animal agriculture. The joint program committee has been hard at work and is ready to announce the general program and invited speakers:
Thursday, July 5, 2018
- 8:30 - Registration
- 17:30 - Keynote Speaker, Dr. Jennie Pryce (Victoria Agriculture and La Trobe University, Australia)
Friday, July 6, 2018
- Session I - Precision Livestock Farming to increase producers' profitability
- Invited speakers: Dr. Ilan Halachmi (Israel), Dr. Irenilza de Alencar Nääs (Paulista University, Brazil), Dr. Trevor Devries (University of Guelph, Canada)
- Session II - Higher food safety to enhance consumer confidence
- Invited Speakers: Dr. Herman Barkema (University of Calgary, Canada), Dr. Amy Pruden (Virginia Tech, United States), Dr. Uwe Rössler (Free University of Berlin, Germany)
Saturday, July 7, 2018
- Session III - Challenges and opportunities in animal health
- Dr. Andres Perez (University of Minnesota, United States), Dr. Janice Zanella (Embrapa Swine and Poultry, Santa Catarina, Brazil), Dr. Anne Mottet (FAO, Italy)
- Session IV: Animal well-being challenges for today, opportunities for tomorrow
- Dr. Don Lay (USDA ARS/Purdue University, United States), Dr. Adroaldo Zanella (University of Sao Paolo, Brazil), Dr. Marina von Keyserlingk (University of British Columbia, Canada)
Sunday, July 8, 2018
- Session V: Genetic improvement in developing countries: mission impossible?
- Invited speakers: Dr. Raphael Mrode (ILRI and SRUC/Scotland's Rural College, Kenya and United Kingdom), Dr. Yachun Wang (China Agricultural University, China), Dr. Alessandra Stella (Parco Tecnologico Padano, Italy)
- Session VI: A picture is worth a thousand words - challenges in communication between agriculture and the public
- Dr. Gesa Busch (University of Bozen, Italy), Dr. Maria Hötzel (Brazil), Dr. Glynn Tonsor (Kansas State University, United States)
In addition to invited talks, we will choose several 15 minute talks from submitted abstracts and there will be daily poster presentations. Look for the call for abstracts soon.
Special care was taken to insure that registration costs were kept low for this meeting and that housing costs were kept to a minimum (please note all housing is in Canadian dollars).