Chief Executive Officer
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Position Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Board of Directors
FLSA Status: Exempt/Salary
Employment Status: Full Time
Complete the online form at https://www.asas.org/asas-ceo-candidates
Application materials will be accepted only via the above link.
Do you know someone that would be a great candidate for the CEO position? If so, submit their information on the online form at https://www.asas.org/asas-ceo-nominations. Screening of applicants will begin on May 26, 2023.
The American Society of Animal Science (ASAS) celebrated its 100-year anniversary in 2008. During the first 100 years, ASAS broadened membership to more than 7000 members. ASAS developed diverse and dynamic membership programs and fostered the growth of the premier journal in animal science and the premier animal science meetings. In 2023, the American Society of Animal Science celebrates 115 years of sharing great research and supporting science careers. ASAS will continue to be the world leader as a source of scientific information on the contributions of animals to food and fiber production. Animals contribute greatly to enhancing the human life and well-being in a wide variety of ways, including companionship, recreation, and human aid. Therefore, the broader vision of ASAS is to be a diverse community of professionals recognized as the leading source of new knowledge and perspective on animals that enhance human life and well-being. ASAS facilitates global scientific exchange through innovative and inclusive venues.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) provides leadership and direction in fulfilling and advancing the mission of the American Society of Animal Science. The CEO is responsible for leading the organization in its achievement of its strategic goals including fiscal management, grants and program operations, board relations and administrative matters. The CEO position is science-based and customer-focused.
The CEO shall provide:
- Leadership and direction to ASAS, its sections, and the ASAS Foundation including fiscal management.
- Leadership and communication within, among, and through the interrelationships with other science-based societies.
- Overall programmatic oversight for all ASAS activities.
- Supervision of ASASs Chief Operating Officer (COO) and other paid staff.
- The CEO reports directly to the ASAS President and is directly responsible to the ASAS President, Executive Committee, and Board of Directors for proper interpretation and fulfillment of the leadership, communication and oversight dimensions of this position.
- The CEO functions and fulfills the requirements of this position by working within the yearly ASAS program of work (annual plan), strategic plan, and budget as approved by the Board of Directors
QUALIFICATIONS/TECHNICAL SKILLS: Superior oral and written communication skills; superior interpersonal skills; superior analytical and financial skills; exhibit commitment, compassion, and competence, as well as the ability to make timely decisions; and exhibit ability to provide visionary leadership.
EDUCATION: Ph.D. in Animal Science or related field
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: Sufficient previous management experience, preferably in not-for-profit organizations/associations or business setting. Have an understanding of working with volunteer committees and Board of Directors. Experience in managing staff and implementing Board directed policy is beneficial.
The American Society of Animal Science embraces, diversity, equity, and inclusion. ASAS actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with co-workers, members, and others.