2023 Southern Section Meeting
January 21 - 24, 2023
Hilton Raleigh North Hills
Raleigh, North Carolina
Meeting and Awards Sponsorship
Deadline to book a room is December 30, 2022
Hilton Raleigh North Hills
3415 Wake Forest Road
Raleigh, NC 27609
Or call 919-872-2323, Option 1, Group code: ASAS23
Single - $160
Double - $170
Triple - $180
SUBMIT ABSTRACTS for the 2023 Southern Section Meeting!
Abstract submission deadline is October 7, 2022 at 3:00 PM CT.
Abstract text is limited to 450 words, excluding title, keywords and any tables. Do not double-space between sentences as this extra space is considered a word in the count.
Tables can be added as a PDF during the abstract submission process. Use the Table Guidelines to allow for a consistent display within the Meeting App and Website.
2023 Symposia Details
- SERA 41 Symposium: Challenges to the adoption rate of research-proven practices in Southeastern cow-calf herds The 2023 SERA (Southern Extension/Research Multi-state Activity) 41 Symposium will address ‘Challenges to the adoption rate of research proven practices in Southeastern cow-calf herds.’ Presentations will focus on the current challenges facing producers and methods to increase adoption of existing technologies in the areas of pasture management, breeding and genetics, and herd management. A panel discussion will also be held at the end of the symposium to provide insights from seasoned industry professionals.
- Bill E. Kunkle Symposium: Emerging technologies in beef cattle production
The Bill E. Kunkle Interdisciplinary Beef Symposium has been held annually at the Southern Sectional meeting of the American Society of Animal Science since 2014. The symposium was named to honor Dr. Kunkle’s commitment to the beef industry in the Southeast. The 2023 Kunkle Symposium will address emerging technologies in beef cattle production. Topics will include Integrating molecular features for predicting reproductive outcomes in Bos taurus heifers presented by Dr. Paul Dyce, Auburn University. Other topics include use of Crispr technology in beef production, use of secondary metabolites in feed and effects on the rumen microbiome, and use of precision agriculture technologies in cow-calf production.
- Advancing Swine Research in the Southern Section
With this year’s annual meeting taking place in Raleigh, we plan to capitalize on North Carolina being the nation’s third largest pork producing state by recognizing the swine research by scientists within the Southern Section.
- Biotechnological Advancements in Data Collection
This symposium will emphasize the interactions between livestock species and environmental factors, and how the use of precision agriculture can enhance our understanding of animal efficiency.
Invited Speaker Agreement/Reimbursement Policy
NOTE: At this time, the Southern Section has opted not to reimburse members inside the section for travel or registration.
Student Competition Guidelines
- Student Competitions Guidelines
- 3-Minute Thesis Rules and Information
- 3-Minute Thesis Judging Criteria and Scoresheet
Call for 2023 Award Nominations -- Awards Deadline: November 10, 2022
2023-2024 Call for Election Nominations -- Nominations Deadline: October 3, 2022
Future Meeting Locations
2024 - Louisville, KY, January 27-30