2023 Southern Section Meeting
January 21 - 24, 2023
Hilton Raleigh North Hills
Raleigh, North Carolina
Meeting and Awards Sponsorship
Online registration is now closed. Registration will be available on site beginning on Sunday, January 22 at 7:30 AM.
No ticketed events will be available onsite.
Deadline to book a room was December 30, 2022
Hilton Raleigh North Hills
3415 Wake Forest Road
Raleigh, NC 27609
Or call 919-872-2323, Option 1, Group code: ASAS23
Single - $160
Double - $170
Triple - $180
Mobile App (Online Program)
The ASAS 2023 Southern Section Meeting Mobile App is available! Options for using the Mobile App include:
- Apple iOS Devices - install the free Apple iOS App
- Android Devices - install the free Google Play App
Install the free 'ASAS Meetings' app, then open it and search for '2023 ASAS Meeting'.
- Presentation slide format should be in PowerPoint standard screen size (4:3)
- Each session room will be equipped with a laptop, projector and screen for the presentations
- Presentation total time is 15 minutes (12 minutes for the talk and 3 minutes for Q&A)
Randel Lectureship Speakers
- Dr. Andrea Cupp, University of Nebraska - Androgen Excess Domestic Livestock Models—What can they tell us about the mechanisms underlying anovulation?
- Dr. Jack Britt, North Carolina State Emeritus Professor - Ensuring a Leading Role for USA Animal Protein in Our World’s Food Future
- SERA 41 Symposium: Challenges to the adoption rate of research-proven practices in Southeastern cow-calf herds The 2023 SERA (Southern Extension/Research Multi-state Activity) 41 Symposium will address ‘Challenges to the adoption rate of research proven practices in Southeastern cow-calf herds.’ Presentations will focus on the current challenges facing producers and methods to increase adoption of existing technologies in the areas of pasture management, breeding and genetics, and herd management. A panel discussion will also be held at the end of the symposium to provide insights from seasoned industry professionals.
- Bill E. Kunkle Symposium: Emerging technologies in beef cattle production
The Bill E. Kunkle Interdisciplinary Beef Symposium has been held annually at the Southern Sectional meeting of the American Society of Animal Science since 2014. The symposium was named to honor Dr. Kunkle’s commitment to the beef industry in the Southeast. The 2023 Kunkle Symposium will address emerging technologies in beef cattle production. Topics will include Integrating molecular features for predicting reproductive outcomes in Bos taurus heifers presented by Dr. Paul Dyce, Auburn University. Other topics include use of Crispr technology in beef production, use of secondary metabolites in feed and effects on the rumen microbiome, and use of precision agriculture technologies in cow-calf production.
- Advancing Swine Research in the Southern Section
With this year’s annual meeting taking place in Raleigh, we plan to capitalize on North Carolina being the nation’s third largest pork producing state by recognizing the swine research by scientists within the Southern Section.
- Biotechnological Advancements in Data Collection
This symposium will emphasize the interactions between livestock species and environmental factors, and how the use of precision agriculture can enhance our understanding of animal efficiency.
Abstract submission is closed for the 2023 Southern Section Meeting. Deadline was October 7, 2022 at 3:00 PM CT.
Abstract text is limited to 450 words, excluding title, keywords and any tables. Do not double-space between sentences as this extra space is considered a word in the count.
Tables can be added as a PDF during the abstract submission process. Use the Table Guidelines to allow for a consistent display within the Meeting App and Website.
- Abstract Submission Instructions
- Abstract Quality Standards
Student Competition Guidelines
- Student Competitions Guidelines
- 3-Minute Thesis Rules and Information
- 3-Minute Thesis Judging Criteria and Scoresheet
NOTE: A single PowerPoint slide in standard screen size (4:3) should be used for the competition presentation.
Invited Speaker Agreement/Reimbursement Policy
NOTE: At this time, the Southern Section has opted not to reimburse members inside the section for travel or registration.
2023 Call for Award Nominations is closed -- Award Deadline: December 2, 2022
2023-2024 Call for Election Nominations is closed -- Nominations Deadline: October 3, 2022
Future Meeting Locations
2024 - Louisville, KY, January 27-30